Fluids

Fluids

PEMFC calculated flow field suggests gas flow exclusively FROM the GDL INTO the gas channel

• dsm
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a PEMFC in Ansys Fluent with the PEMFC addon as part of my master's thesis. It has 2 parallel, linear channels at both anode and cathode. When I followed the instructions in the short overview video about the addon on youtube, I constantly received floating point exception errors. So, I deactivated most of the functionality of the addon, in order to work my way up and pinpoint the origin of the error.

With only the options "Electrochemistry Sources" and "Butler-Volmer Rate" turned on under Options in the PEMFC Model setup box, I manage to get a flow field, but it seems odd: at both cathode and anode, the gas does not seem to flow into the respective GDL as expected. At the anode, it even seems like the gas is rather flowing from the GDL into the channel. I have gathered this from contour plots showing the relevant velocity component, from pathlines starting from the GDL/channel interface and from vector plots at that interface.

Mesh for reference, cathode on top, anode on bottom:

• RK
      Ansys Employee
      Hello David,
      Can you please follow these steps in the manual and let us know if the error comes up again : https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/flu_ug/flu_pemfc_chap_pem_using.html
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.