Fluids

Fluids

Physic simulation blocks

• AeroX
      Subscriber

Hi to everyone,I'm a newbie user and an amateur CFD designer as well.

I've started using AIM 19.1 some days ago and I must say it's quite an amazing simulation software among all the others.

Unluckly I've met some issues Ican't get ride of.

I've started my first simulation with a classic cylinder in a steady flow,after setting geometry and mesh,I've setted the physic condition for the simulation,but when I run the simulation,AIM blocks the solving process at 68%.

Any idea of what it could be linked to?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

More information is mandatory and the lines in the AIM transcript before it starts hanging up.

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Welcome to CFD. Since you are using AIM, I am not sure if you have seen these video tutorials on youtube. These would be an excellent place to start learning. I am posting links to two of the introductory ones here as my answer. Please feel free to go an have a look at all 60 of them in the playlist. They might be an excellent resource to get you up to speed.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Karthik

• AeroX
      Subscriber

Thank you very much,I'll try to see if it could be useful for my problem!

• AeroX
      Subscriber

Can you try to explain your self?

What kind of information should be mandatory?

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

If you are looking for specific help, it is important for all of us to understand the point where your simulations hangs. As requested by abenhadj, please provide us with the necessary transcript file so we can understand the issue better. This will help us help you.

Another point, you might want to attach your simulation files as well. As ANSYS employees, we will not be able to open your simulation files. However, you might be able to find some help from others in the community.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Karthik 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello AeroX,

I'm a beginner at AIM and CFD, but I never heard of a Transcript file before, so I wanted to see what it was. After clicking Solve, found a tab added to the Workflow labelled Transcript.

Then I clicked on the i in the circle and the ability to save a transcript file is offered.

I have attached the text file to this post.

The other suggestion was to attach your simulation files. You do that by clicking File, Archive and saving a .wbpz file. I have attached that also.  If you want to open my .wbpz file, you start AIM then use the File, Restore Archive menu picks.

Regards,

Peter

• José Mantovani
      Subscriber

To add to the discussion: from what I understood from Peter's images above he generated a model of flow around a sphere / cylinder inside a channel, if you want to analyze the flow around the cylinder I recommend you do it in a domain without walls , with the distal limits of the cylinder so that the flow is not affected. Now if you want to analyze the sphere within a channel the model as Peter presented is very satisfactory.

Best regards,

Mantovani. 

• AeroX
      Subscriber

Here it is,do you also need the entire simulation file?

• José Mantovani
      Subscriber

No, I just made a comment about it. Try in this ways... 

Best Regards,

Mantovani. 

• AeroX
      Subscriber

I was talking to everyone in the discussion.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

AeroX, ANSYS employees can look at your transcript for a clue about why the solve hung up, but they are not allowed to open models. I am not an ANSYS employee, so I can open your model if you upload it, but first I have to install AIM 19.1 as I only have ANSYS 19.1 installed.

To test out your installation, I recommend you download my .wbpz file, restore it in AIM on your computer and try to Solve it.  You may need to make some change like the inlet velocity in order to have the model be put into a state where it needs to solve again.  Since we know this model solved on my computer, if it solves on your computer, that gives you some confidence that your computer has a valid installation of AIM.  In that case, there may be some mistake in your model.

• AeroX
      Subscriber

Ok,I will wait for kremella's answer just to see what does he think about the transcript,in case even he couldn't help me I will send you the simulation file.

Thank you very much!

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

I had a look at your transcript file. The only thing that caught my attention was the fact that 'artificial walls' were being placed at your outlet boundary. And the % area kept on increasing. I am not fully sure of what your set-up is like. Quick question - in your outlet boundary conditions, have you allowed for reversed flow? If you have not, could you please turn this on and re-run your analysis? One thing I noticed that your simulation did reach the residual values. However, I am not sure if you are able to post-process any variables. 

Could you please elaborate on your boundary conditions? 

Please attach your files and someone might have a look at it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.