Discovery Import

Discovery Import

Pin Support in a circular beam : using Discovery AIM & Live

• biraj.dey
      Subscriber

I want to find the maximum bending moment reaction of the above assembly.

For that, I want to apply pin support from a particular distance "H" from the left side and the other end is fixed support (which I can apply)

I want to know how to do that in both Discovery Live and AIM.

The cross-section is circular hollow.

I am using 2019R1 version.

• Charudatta Bandgar
      Subscriber

Hello Biraj Dey ,

As far as I understood from your query, you are trying to apply gravity load on 4" tube with length 1m, fully supported at one end and pin supported at H distance from the other end.

To simulate pin support (Fixed in all translation degrees of freedom, and free in degree of freedom tangential to the tube), there is no direct way to define it through supports tool. But you can use remote displacement (as shown in attached figure), and define the pin location coordinate system and define the degrees of freedom accordingly.

Moment reaction extraction tool is not provided in discovery LIVE but you can extract the moment reaction in AIM, by adding reaction plot in results section (as shown in figure).

• biraj.dey
      Subscriber

Thanks! It helped

• biraj.dey
      Subscriber

Hi Charudatta Bandgar

I have some queries:

1. What are the 2 faces that you selected to define the location? and why?

2. how to create originating point location? and why?

3. What is significance of "apply from originating point"?

3. Can you explain step by step procedure to define a pin support at extreme one end. of the same circular c.s. (i.e., without any overhang after that, H=0)

• Charudatta Bandgar
        Subscriber

Hello Biraj Dey ,

1. What are the 2 faces that you selected to define the location? and why?

I had split the constraining face in two parts (as shown in attached image), although that is not necessary.

2. how to create originating point location? and why?
        3. What is significance of "apply from originating point"?

Originating point location is an arbitrary point via which the remote displacement constraints can be applied.

For a simplified example, I have considered the tube to be resting at one point, you can define it as per your understanding/ requirement of the problem statement.

For detailed information about the remote displacement and terminologies associated with it, please refer the AIM documentation. 

3. Can you explain step by step procedure to define a pin support at extreme one end. of the same circular c.s. (i.e., without any overhang after that, H=0)

To constrain the model on the extreme end of the tube,based on my understanding of the problem, I would follow same procedure as mentioned earlier, with the outer face (refer the attached image) as the constrained face, lower most point as originating point and co ordinate system at same location as reference frame. 

• Charudatta Bandgar
      Subscriber

Hello Biraj Dey ,

Was this helpful?

• biraj.dey
      Subscriber

Yes, it was very helpful. Thank You

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.