General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Plain stress or plain strain

• mhmteminarslan
      Subscriber

I am making static structural analysis of a rotor lamination. In my case, the rotor is designed  by punching about 170 lamination sheets. Each of lamination is 0.35 mm thick and the outer diameter of the rotor is equal to the length of the rotor. If we think just one lamination, the electrical sheet propoerties should be isotropic. 

Can I use a 2d analysis to simulate that part? If yes, should I use plane stress or plane strain theory?  If no how can I model that part  by using 3D geometry

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

It's better to model composite laminar with shell elements. You can try ACP in Ansys Workbench. Here is a tutorial:

Regards,

Wenlong

• mhmteminarslan
      Subscriber

Thank you for the answer. I watch the tutorial but default material properties are used in the tutorial. I have just the material specifications for a single 0.35 mm lamination. The specifications which I have are: Density, poisson's ratio, E-Modulus, Yield stress, Tensile stress and elongation value. How can I insert those values in ACP analysis

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

You can define your materials data in the "Engineering Data" in ACP(Pre), as shown in 48 sec in the video

Regards,

Wenlong

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.