Fluids

Fluids

Polyflow Extrusion

• okaya
      Subscriber

In polyflow at the flow boundary conditions for inlet, i am choosing inflow but i dont know which one should i choose for example when givin columetric flow rate, what is the difference between; automatic, fully developed, constant normal force and constant normal force with free Vs. Also according to my application what should i choose for outflow. Should i choose outflow or fn=Fs=0. What is the difference. Thank you.

• ydai
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Okaya with given volumetric flow rate, polydata assigns Automatic type bc by default, which leaves choice to polydata to select either Fully developed or constant normal force type bc. Fully developed is generally selected in direct extrusion simulation. In an inverse extrusion problem for predicting inlet shape on the die land (constant section of the extrusion die), the constant normal force bc will be selected.
      Outflow bc is equivalent to the flow in a straight long channel at the exit. For a similar flow with a straight long channel before the exit, outflow bc is similar to the normal force fn=0 and tangential velocity vs=0 condition, Normal force and tagential force fn=fs=0 bc is typically used for exit section of free surface problems.
      For more details, please refer to 8.6 Inflow condition and 8.7 and Outflow condition, in user's guide: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/poly_pf/pf_ug_sec_bcs_inflow.html
      You can also check the help manual attached with polydata while you are setting up a bc, for example, when in the menu for setting inlet bc At the bottom of the menu screen, if click on "Help" tag, you will see the manual details as shown below If click back on "Menu" tag, you will return back to the previous menu for inlet bc.
      Hope this helps
      Yi

• okaya
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much for your explanation. I didnt know about the help menu it look useful. Thank you.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.