Fluids

Fluids

porous layer shrinkage model in fluent

• Weiqiang Liu
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I am doing a 2D transient simulation of porous media combustion which is similar to packed bed combustion with fluent. At this point, I can get everything right except velocity contour. 

In my model, I just assumed porous media is composed by spherical particles fixed in space. With the consumption of porous media, the diameter of particle is decreasing. 

My question is how can I model the shrinkage of the porous media layer? For example, the porous layer thickness is decreasing with soot oxidation. However, I don't have dynamic mesh to describe this boundary movement. I am wondering can I just define some mass exchange between adjacent cells to model this shrinkage or compaction phenomenon?

Best regards

Weiqiang 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You can adjust porosity and resistances wuth your porous media based on oxidation rate or any input. If packed bed porous media alternative to use granular model with heterogeneous reactions.
    • Weiqiang Liu
      Subscriber

yes, I tried to define a resistance function which is related to porosity and local soot concentration. Normally, resistance is decreasing with consumption of soot. However, seems like the resistance is decreasing either too slow or too rapidly. 

Therefore, I am thinking about if I need to use shrinkage model. Because I read this in some fixed bed combustion paper, those authors modeled mass and enthalpy exchange between adjacent cells to mimic porous layer compaction.

Best regards

Weiqiang

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.