General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Pre-meshed crack problem

• cristobal105
      Subscriber

Hello

I would like to know how to solve the warning message that appears when I try to define the pre-meshed crack. It says:

One of the crack's mesh encompasses multiple bodies which have different material models. Ensure one material model by scoping these bodies to one material assignment object.

Thanks for your help!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The element size is too large for a crack analysis, make the elements smaller by a factor of 10 or more.

You need two separate nodal Named Selections for the two faces on each side of the crack, you only have one Named Selection that you used twice.

Do you have the crack coordinate system oriented correctly? Please use the Insert Image button to show that.

• cristobal105
      Subscriber

Thanks for your answer.

I just used the sphere of influence to get a finer mesh around the edge where the crack will be define.

After that, I added the two nodal named selections that you mentioned. The coordinate system is located in the centre of the edge where I'm trying to define the crack. But the same warning apppears once again.

One of the crack's mesh encompasses multiple bodies which have different material models. Ensure one material model by scoping these bodies to one material assignment object.

Thanks for your help.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Move the origin of the crack coordinate system -0.002 m in the X direction to get it into the open part of the crack.

• cristobal105
      Subscriber

I changed the coordinate system with the number you suggested. The warning message still is there.

What can I do to solve the Ensure one material model by scoping these bodies to one material assignment object. Because the CT specimen is just one body defined with one material, I'm not sure if it is related to that. Thanks again.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The last time I saw that error was in a 2D model where the surface was split into multiple faces. Do you have that condition?

• cristobal105
      Subscriber

Thanks. I'm not sure where I can check that condition in particular but I'm sure I haven't used that tool to generate the solid body. But I checked this, maybe it could help.

Also, I used DesignModeler to draw the CT specimen and used the tool extrude to give volumen to it. Maybe it is related to the software I used to generate the body, or the way I did? Thanks for your help.

• cristobal105
      Subscriber
      Hey, I tried with a simplier geometry but I still have the same problem. Do you think it's a problem of how the body is generated? thank you.nn
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.