General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Predict the load-sdisplacement curve with ANSYS Workbench

• Mn65
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have a question regarding the following problem that I'm trying to study in ANSYS Workbench. I'm simulating an adhesively bonded joint of a double cantilever beam  (DCB), and I'm trying to predict the load-displacement curve of this specimen. I did the following steps:

1- The experimental DCB tests were done and the load-displacement curves generated

2- The fracture toughness (G) of the adhesive was calculated with the analytical formulations

3- The same geometry was simulated in ANSYS Workbench (with the VCCT model) to create a FE model that could be able to predict the load-displacement curve of the experiment test (under the same loading conditions)

4- Then the FE model was modified by changing the mesh size and the value of G to reach the closest load-displacement curve to the experimental curve.

I have the following questions regarding this issue:

1- The following warning appears, what does it mean, and how I can solve it;

"The fracture parameters computed during solution may be incorrect. Check the Solver Output on the Solution Information object for possible causes"

2- Do you have any idea to improve my model to have a closer load-displacement curve with the experiment? The following image shows a comparison between FE and the experiment curve.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Hi @Mn65,

If the geometry and loading look fine to you then you should focus on the material properties which may be causing a difference in the results.

Regards,

Ashish Khemka

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.