Fluids

Fluids

Pressure cooker simulations

• Prasadpk15
      Subscriber

I want to perform the thermal simulations over the design of energy efficient pressure cooker that I developed. I have following doubts -

1. Whether I should select the Thermal transient or Fluent for this simulation?

2. I also want to compare the energy required for boiling the water in cases of energy efficient pressure cooker and normal pressure cooker. So, what should I select as the need conditions of the simulations?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

What level of detail do you need? Ie do you need to consider fluid convection? 

How would you measure the efficiency in an experiment? Time to heat up, energy supplied v temperature gained etc?  We can monitor most things, you need to define what you want from the model. 

• Prasadpk15
      Subscriber

I need simulations in detail.

I am considering convection at every solid - fluid interfaces. Such as, convective heat transfer between hot water inside the pressure cooker and inner walls of the pressure cooker. Also, convective heat transfer between outside air and outer walls of the pressure cooker.

I want to measure efficiency with respect to energy required to boil the given amount of water inside pressure cooker from room temperature. Since heat flux supplied to the pressure cooker is constant with respect to time, time required and energy required would be directly proportional.

So, I want either energy required or time required to achieve final water boiling condition in both traditional and energy efficient cooker design that I will be proposing.

• Prasadpk15
      Subscriber

Please reply for the about querry

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

OK, so you will need a CFD calculation. I would suggest reading up on buoyant flow and conjugate heat transfer.  

• Prasadpk15
      Subscriber

While performing CFD simulation of boiling water inside closed vessel do I need to use k-epsilon model or laminar model?

Also, Should I mention specific operational density or not??

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Is the flow turbulent? 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.