Fluids

Fluids

pressure set up

• WEIWEIE
      Subscriber

To whom it may concern, 

I'm using FLUENT doing an oil-water multiphase separation simulation. Currently, I want to simulate the following case: I consider a subsea separator at depth of 500 m, so the external hydrostatic pressure acting on the separator is 710 psi. Suppose the internal pressure is the same since there is no gas in the separator. And only the internal flow is solved in Fluent. How should I set up operating pressure, gauge pressure, and operating pressure?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Set the operating pressure to be the one of the subsea level (710 psi). The gauge pressures in Fluent are only relative to that operating pressure in order to reduce round-off errors.

• WEIWEIE
      Subscriber

So, you mean to set the gauge pressure as 0, and reference pressure is 0 as well?  or I should set gauge pressure as 710 psi, and reference as 710 psi instead? 

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Operating pressure is the pressure you set under operating conditions and this is your pressure level = 710 psi. Gauge pressure is the one to set on inflow/outlet boundaries and the reference pressure under reference values is not used for the run but just for post-processing some quantities and for exporting loads to external programs. The most important thing here is the pressure difference and it does not play a role where you set the pressure whenever the density is not dependent on the pressure see this link. Nevertheless I still recommend setting operating pressure to 710 psi and express all other gauge pressure input relative to that. Bear in mind that static pressure = Operating pressure + Gauge Pressure.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.