3D Design

3D Design

Problem importing external geometry to Design Modeler

• dhua
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have recieved a geometry file of a wheel from someone that I need to run simulations on. It came in .stl format, but I couldn't open that in ANSYS so I changed it to .sat by opening it in fusion 360 and exporting as .sat. However, when I tried to open the file, I got the error messages, "Failed to read file," "No Valid bodies found", and "attatch failed." It looks like this file is premeshed, which might have something to deal with it. I'm a complete beginner at ANSYS, could anyone help? Here is the file below if anyone else wants to try to import it also. I will attatch both the changed .sat file and the .stl file given to me. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uzqXYrjHievRVg40w-vVKTWaBowXyZJN

EDIT: RESOLVE, I imported it as an .stl. Sorry!

EDIT EDIT: I get the error message, "conversion of body to design modeler format failed", after trying to make an enclosure. What do i do?

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Exporting an STL file (which is all triangular faces, not very regular ones at that) as a SAT file will not magically solidify it as a BRep model (with geometry you can modify and all that) Opening a SAT file is looking for those Brep faces.   It only looks pre-meshed because you are seeing the triangles -- those are not mesh faces that are useful for analysis.

Your best bet is to import the stl file (as triangles) and re-create the faces you want to make identifiable to analysis. There are a ton of tools in SpaceClaim to do that.

F

• dhua
      Subscriber

I imported the file, but I can't make an enclosure now for the reason above. Also, for some reason, the geometry now looks like this: 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

you will have to recreate geometry. please use spaceclaim to do so. 

please look at following videos which may help you. 

if this helps you, please mark this post as 'is solution' to help others on forum.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.