Fluids

Fluids

Problem in making mesh for vertical ground loop heat exchanger

• Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to make mesh for my vertical ground loop heat exchanger system. As i am new to fluent i am facing different type of errors while refining it. I have to control the no of elements. Can someone help me in doing that. I have a reference image of mesh that i want. I am also attaching geometry if someone want to make it. I will be very thankful.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Staff aren't permitted to open or download files, so you can either wait for the community to answer, or post some images.
    • Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber
      Hi Everyone.
      Here is the image of geometry that i am trying to mesh.
      Grouting
      Pipe
      Fluid
      Pipe is u-shaped that is inside the grouting material.
      I don't have any problem when i mesh pipe and fluid geometry.
      But when i try try to include grouting in the system i get this error.
      Can anyone tell me why this error is coming?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Apologies, it looks like images are partially broken again, the OP image showed up just now. The poor mesh is likely due to the cell size. You need several cells across a gap to resolve the gradients and reduce the size jump between the surface meshes.
    • Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber
      Thank you for replying issue in meshing was resolved. But after running a simulation i am getting this temperature limit. It is affecting my results. Can you please tell me why i am getting this error?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It means the solver is struggling. Check mesh quality, and if that's OK (skew under about 0.9 or ortho quality over about 0.1 AND you have enough cells to resolve the flow) check the boundary settings.
    • Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob. This is what i have in skewness. Is it fine?
    • Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber
      Orthogonal Quality on average is about 0.6495.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      No. Anything over about 0.9 to 0.95 is a problem. Looking at the above you need to check the size settings as the tet region is awful.
    • Muhammad_Ameen
      Subscriber
      Can you please tell me how to refine that? And from which parameters i can control these metrics?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Max cell size and growth rate will play a part. If you look at the mesh, what is causing the skew cells? I don't mean the settings, what physically is the problem with the cell shapes.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.