Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Problem in meshing

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

I really can't understand why it keeps genereting a mesh only in 3 of the 4 quadrant of the fluid domain. The only way to complete it is to use the command face meshing the is incompatible with inflation.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Either zoom in to the airfoil and show how those 4 quadrants meet at the airfoil, or make a project archive and attach the .wbpz file to your reply so we can have a closer look at the geometry.

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

I attach three test cases i have done. They are basically the same but with different mesh controls. I used face meshing, inflation and body sizing. The first one is pretty good but it lacks of boundary layer. The other two are quite orrible because quad meshing keep fail. I would like to obtain a mesh like the first case (face meshing control) with a boundary layer. 

Yesterday you sent me a video tutorial on ICEM CFD to generate the airfoil's mesh that i need but i'm a student user and i don't have the licence for it. 

Any other suggestions? Is it possible to generate the mesh i want without That program?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't see the file attachment. The file size limit is 120 MB.  It is best to click on Mesh and Clear Generated Data, close Mechanical, save the project, then File, Archive... and create a .wbpz file which you can attach to your post. 

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

sorry but  i had problems upload files. Here they are

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Andrea, what version of ANSYS are you using? I could open the geometry and am trying out meshing it in 18.2 but I couldn't open the meshdat files.

What thickness do you want for your first layer in the inflation layer?

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

I'm using Ansys 19. I calculated Re= 2e5 and first layer thickness of 0.000018375. I attach the .wbpz files in a zip folder. 

I feel sorry to bothering you with all of my questions and you are so kind to answer me all the time.To avoid other stupid questions, do you know where i can find a manual or some pfd where i can learn how to set properly the value as max face size, min size, proximity min size and other parameters for meshing? I'm thinking that the problem in my mesh are those parameters and the numbers of division a set on edges.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Dear Andrea, I volunteer on this site and answer questions for fun! You questions are not stupid.

Meshing skills are mostly developed by painful experience, though some techniques I was shown, which made it much easier.

Now that I know to use Ansys 19.0, I was able to open your original attachment of meshdat files. After I opened one, I noticed that the geometry was set to 3D but it must be 2D to do a 2D Fluent model, so you will have to start over as you cannot change it from 3D to 2D after you have attached to meshing, it's permanently set.  Start with a new file and set it to 2D before you open DesignModeler.

I sliced up your geometry and got it to mesh, though not with the first layer thickness, but you can try this approach with your 2D geometry.

In your last post, you attached a zip file with .wbpj files inside. Those files are not useful without the _files folders of the same name. That is what the File, Archive does, it "zips" together that file and folder and makes a .wbpz file that contains them both. I have done that with the example above, but you need to start over in 2D. You use File, Restore Archive to open an archive file.

Kind regards,
      Peter

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

hi Peter, sorry for delay but i was in holiday and i didn't have my pc with me. thank a lot for your help i appreciate a lot

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Andrea, hope you had a good holiday. You can show your appreciation by clicking Like below the posts that are helpful.

Cheers,
      Peter

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

I had really great holiday, thank you. In the mean while i thought abut using inflation and face meshing and i did it. I divided the domaini in two. In the smaller one i used inflation and in the outer i used face meshing. I think it has come a great mesh. Again thanks a lot.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.