3D Design

3D Design

Problem regarding transfer of files

• Abhi
      Subscriber

I have designed a model in solid works which has hinges and a certain degree of freedom. But i am facing problem when i am trying to transfer the file to ansys workbench. It is takinf it as ahole entity . it doesnt consider the model separately all the parts. First i am changing the model from sldprt to parasolid .xt file . then tgransporting but stilll the model is frozen . please suggest me step by step.

this is from solid works here the hinges works properly.  this is when i transfer it to ansys  . here no flaps are working no hinges are working. its completely frozen.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The DesignModeler part looks to have retained the 4 distinct bodies. You may need to set a rotation (move) for each valve leaf, but otherwise it looks OK. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

I can see you are using R17.1. Can you please update to R19.1. 

Are transferring file to DM or ANSYS Mechanical directly? Accordingly I will move this thread to particular category. 

Can you please read file in DM or SpaceClaim and let us know. 

Regards,

Keyur

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Abhi,

I understand you have a SolidWorks CAD model where the parts move because you created Mates in SW that allows you to drag components in the degree of freedom that the Mates have left free.

The ANSYS geometry editors (DesignModeler and SpaceClaim) don't have Mates so there is no capability to drag parts around the degree of freedom that you could do in SW.  It's just not there in the geometry editor. That is what you mean by "Frozen", but that word has a different meaning in DesignModeler, which is that the body is not merged with prior bodies, so you also want the bodies to have that characteristic.  You can rotate or translate bodies in 3D space in the editors, but there is no persistent axis for that movement like there is in SW.

However, ANSYS Structural (or Fluent) models can have parts that are on Revolute Joints that allow parts to rotate about an axis when driven by Boundary Conditions (like a Joint Displacement or Torque Load) or forces calculated during the solution.  You can see the motion once the solution is computed while post-processing the results.

Regards,

Peter

• Abhi
      Subscriber

Sir 

I can read it from DM but the file is frozen. it is taking it as a single entity.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Please can you post the image that shows the frozen geometry?  The DM image above shows it's imported as 4 separate bodies. 

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

The 192 release of AIM has in it the Assembly mechanism functionality from SpaceClaim Engineer.  This allows you to define an anchor part and connect other parts (components) that move as a function of other manual or dimension-driven component movements. 

So, while these types of things are not translatable across CAD packages, you can easily re-create many of them in SpaceClaim, especially ones with a reasonable number of components.

F

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.