General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Problem with Bolt pretension Meshing and Solving

• vipinkrish
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a butterfly valve which has the base fixed, a small force of 100 N on the lever, a pressure of 0.5 MPa on the interior surface and 6 bolt pretension. 

I can able to solve the model for all the other boundary conditions but when i try to simulate the model with bolt pretension not even for one bolt the model working and throwing error as shown below.

I created a local coordinate system for every bolt and assigned it to the bolt pretension. I gave bonded contacts for the bolt stem regions and for the nut and head portion i gave frictional contact.

I meshed the model with 30 mm mesh as shown below. Even i tried meshing it with Multizone method on that particular bolt stem bodies alone but no help.

Kindly help me resolve this issue as my whole degree depends on this. Thanks in Advance

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Is the bolt shaft face split at the plane of the top of the part where either a Nut begins or another part with a "threaded" hole?

You don't want the same face to have both a bonded contact for a nut and a bolt pretension, that creates a conflict.  After you split the face, there is no conflict because there are two faces, one for the bolt pretension and one for the bonded contact.

• vipinkrish
      Subscriber

Yes Peter, i gave a bonded contact between the top part and the shank. I will make these as one single component and try running the model.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.