Fluids

Fluids

Problem with Cp magnitude measured on an airfoil as the graph showed higher values than expected

• kamikazedeva
      Subscriber

I am working on the validation of airfoil NACA 0012. When i tried to plot out the Cp graph in FLUENT, the values often come out in exponential form or maybe with higher value than expected. Is there any way that i could reduce these values? 

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

All the legends for graphs and plots are shown in scientific form or exponential notation (like 7.5e-01, 1.00e+00, 1.25e+00 etc). So that is just normal. If you prefer them in general form (like 0.75, 1.00, 1.25 etc), you can change the axes number format from exponential to float with precision defined as 2. Refer to the following image:

If you want information on the number formats, refer: Modifying Axis Attributes

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

And the actual values of Cp depends on the reference values you provide and the static pressure. So if you feel something is odd about the numbers you're getting, you should check the reference values and the mesh near the airfoil surface.

For a tutorial on flow over an airfoil, refer: SimCafe: FLUENT - Flow over an Airfoil

SimCafe: Flow over an Airfoil - Plot Pressure Coefficient

• kamikazedeva
      Subscriber

Oh okay thanks for your reply! I actually solved it easily with your method! Thanks for the help!

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

If you feel that your question has been answered, please mark it as "Solved" so its easier for other users in the forum to find the solution.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.