3D Design

3D Design

Problem with exporting smoothed geometry from topology optimization study

• eblaab21
      Subscriber

Hi, 

Im using the Ansys Structural Optimization tools to redesign some parts with topology optimization, and im having a lot of trouble transferring and validating the resulting structure using the Design Validation System. The smoothing operation throws an error ("STL file is corrupted") when exporting the model. However, when the smoothed STL file is manually exported it works fine. Without the exported model for the smoothing operation, the Design Validation system does not receive a model (i think?) and also gives an error.

I found this thread (https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/problems-in-toplogy-optimization/) on the ANSYS forums with a person who has the exact same problem, but it didn't seem like the fixes proposed worked for him. The command suggested seems to be an ANSYS Fluent thing, which im not using.

I've tried with different move limits in the smoothing  (1-40) but that doesn't seem to make a difference. This issue is across all my projects and two different computers, even on relatively simple studies such as the one in the screenshots attached.

I'm relatively new to Topology Optimization in ANSYS so i might have missed something obvious.

Any help is much appreciated.

Im using ANSYS 2022 R1 with a student license on a Windows 10 x64 machine. Below are some pictures of my problems.

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

I have some ideas:

I see you have the Windows decimal separator set to comma ",". Please set Windows decimal separator to dot "." and try the export again. 

Or,

In the Details of Smooting, try setting Export Model to "No".

Or, 

Try installing and using 2022R2.

• eblaab21
      Subscriber

Hi Gary, 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

1. Changing decimal separator did not change anything.
      2. Smoothing does indeed work fine when Export Model is set to "no". However, i then have another issue when attempting to validate the TO geometry using the Design Validation System function:
      3. My university unfortunately does not have access to 2022 R2 yet :/

Regards, 

Ebbe

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

Try adjusting the input mesh...Possibly mesh sizing, or force all Tetrahedrons. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.