3D Design

3D Design

Problem with geometry in Fluent 19.0

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would need to explain you which part of the Al geometry I am creating and unfortunately, have a problem to create it, although It is absolutely simple, but to create it does not seem to be easy. The first point is that I am giving you the photo of the geometry and the drawing not finished and you will start to think about it or which way this should be done. It is absolutely simple to create, but not so extremely as I can see it. If you have an idea what to do with it, since the whole problem is not add another aluminium material of the parts of the 6 holes for the bolts, that are to be bigger than compared to the model - basically I need to add extra material of the aluminium there. And i was thinking it was absolutely easy, but not now.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

so extremely easy, because I am not able to draw it at all. The problem is to create a part of the hole since it need to be bigger of 1.5 mm bigger than it is now. And of course I need to add a conus a kind of trianglic shape of hole. So impossible to create or add a part of the hole and to have a shape created in 2D and rotate it. is unfotunately impossible. So if you give me certain advices to resolve this, it will be great.

Thanks

Georgiro

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Georgiro

To simply add material "to the holes," sketch circles of the needed material diameter at some height above the part and extrude them into the part, filling the holes (and obviously centered on them.) Then re-cut the holes at the larger size, and chamfer the top edges to make the conical bits -- or sketch the exact new hole+chamfer profile and rotate it. You will likely want to add (small) rounds at the intersection of your added material and the base part.

F

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Add an axis on the hole center and add a plane through that axis. On the back of the part, draw a circle that is on the hole center, but is slightly bigger than the part and extrude that circle up to the front face. You will fill the hole, but you will have the bulge that is outside the part, especially the edge blend.

On the plane that goes through the hole center, you can sketch the profile to revolve around the axis that will cut the hole, the countersink and the cone, all in one cut operation.

I am confused why you mention Fluent in the title of this discussion, because you are describing mechanical features of a solid part. What does that have to do with fluid flow?

Regards,
      Peter

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So it means that I do not now anything, I thought I was speaking about Fluent that was bought by Ansys and for this reason I also use Fluent, which as you say is not TRUE. SORRY...

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

This was absolutely fine, however I am not able to reduce the height of the cylinder, because I am not able to reduce the height, the parameter is somewhere, but I do not know where? Do you know where or how to find the height of the cylinder?

Thaniks a lot

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

I even do not know what is the height, but should have only 6mm. Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

How can I get rid off the material? I have no idea to see here nothing in Ansys...

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

And because I tried to do st. to work with it, now it does not want to create the cylinder at all, so I am not able to create any of trem at all and before it worked, but too long, unfortunately. So if you have any idea what to do with it, it would be great.

Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

And also some great stupidity, I have changed both menu of the Tree Outline and Sketching and the graphics of the object and now it is not possible to both make it in the windows, just separately, which I am not able to find, so if you have any idea, let me know. Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Georgiro,

Please show a screen snapshot of your Outline, fully expanded. Here is my example, which was done in DesignModeler 19.2

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Thisis perfect, but I do not know what kind of problem I have here, unfortunately, so I have to do it again and do it as you did it. Thanks a lot. Jiri Of course I will do it in 19.0, but I expect exatly the same result.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

And of course I made a huge mistake and do not have my Tree Outline and Graphics on one space, but only in 2 places, so I can show you what I have and do not know how to change it again and it seems I will have to re-install it again, because I am not able to change it to different status as it was.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Go to View -> Window and reset the layout.  

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

The problem is that now fortunately, I do not have a license for uncertain reason and cannot use Ansys at all. But I have put my question to the licenses, so if you can, have a look at that. Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Thanks Rwoolhou, this was the best I have ever done. Very good. Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello Peteroznewman,

could I ask you to send me the model of the cover to see how did you do the part of the special holes, now I have reinstalled whole Windows 10 Home and also Ansys 19.0 and should not have any problem, but I would like to have a look at your model. Thanks a lot, it is sure that I would need the model and also the ....wbpj part of the model.

Thanks a lot

Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So just can give you some vision of my model, however I am not able to do what you did, i. e. I cannot do the cone and hole at all, it does not work and need to learn it how to do this.

See here the picture of the model, again impossible...

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

There is some stupid problem I have during the modellation, but I have no idea what is the problem, thanks for giming me your ideas. Jiri

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Jiri,

I provided the my geometry in the Attachment below my post.  Click on the yellow icon below my post and download a .wbpz file.  Here are instructions for restoring the file to see the geometry.

Regards,
      Peter

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

This is great, I believe it, but I am not capable to download it, since I am not able to find any file in the yellow star? If you tell me more the details to download it, it will be perfect. Thanks a lot! Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

OK, now I realized that you put it above, so now I have it, but I am not sure if it is 19.2 and I have 19.0, so I will try if this will be fine. Thanks Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

OK, it seems to install the student version of 19.2, I will do it now. Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

But of course it will take me a bit of time to download it.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So now I have installed student Ansys 19.2, but I still do not know how can I open the model you gave me? So I need a little help for this. Thanks a lot Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

This is just what I am looking for and it is how to open the model you sent me. So now I have installed student Ansys 19.2, but I still do not know how can I open the model you gave me? So I need a little help for this. Thanks a lot Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Or send me also the .wbpj format as well, so since I have now the 19.2 it will not be any problem to open the model. Thanks a lot Jiri

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You need to restore the archive.  wbpz is an archive containing most (or all) of the files in the project. wbpj is the project header and is useless without the associated folder. 

Edit: Peter also included instructions on this in his post. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

OK, but how shall I do it? I have no idea. Thanks Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

And the construction is .agdb file, so what to do with this fine having the 3D object. At this moment, I am not able to open it. Thanks Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Whoever is able to help, this will be absolutely nice. Thanks Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello, I am sorry, but I am not able to get the model from the geometry you sent me, because I do not know how to do it. So if you help me a little bit, I will do it and we will be happy. Thanks a lot Jiri

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Have you extracted the archive yet? If so, open DesignModeler and you'll see the geometry. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So the name of the geometric file is: 5b727ac4-a3d7-48cd-9224-a991002a0c4e_peter.agdb, but I am not able to open the file at all, so what shall I do? I have no idea. Thanks a lot.

Georgiro

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

And I have the Ansys 19.2 Student, but I cannot open it at all.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

I cannot see anything at all!!! So how can I do it?

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So I do not know if there is any problem with a Student model or not, but I have a serious problem with it!!!

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Because of this problem, I have to ask you, because otherwise I cannot finish it at all. Thanks I really do not know what is the problem here.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Obviously, I know that this is absolutely primitive, but I do not know how to do it, unfortunately, so please help me a little bit! Thanks Jiri

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If it's an agdb file then open Workbench and drag the file from Windows Explorer onto the Project Schematic area. I can't check if Peter's file is valid (as it's one of his I assume it will be) as I'm not allowed to download files from here: it's one of the many constraints I work under as an ANSYS employee. 

As an aside, we (the community) will get to your post eventually, adding a new post every couple of hours doesn't speed anything up, and actually makes it more difficult to follow what you're talking about. Please write one coherent post and you'll find we're able to help more effectively. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So hello, I am not able to help from your help, because it does not work at all. I am giving you what you wrote me, but it does not work at all!!!

Georgiro,

A new post has been created in the Problem with geometry in Fluent 19.0 topic

If it's an agdb file then open Workbench and drag the file from Windows Explorer onto the Project Schematic area. I can't check if Peter's file is valid (as it's one of his I assume it will be) as I'm not allowed to download files from here: it's one of the many constraints I work under as an ANSYS employee. 

As an aside, we (the community) will get to your post eventually, adding a new post every couple of hours doesn't speed anything up, and actually makes it more difficult to follow what you're talking about. Please write one coherent post and you'll find we're able to help more effectively. 

https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/problem-with-geometry-in-fluent-19-0/

https://studentcommunity.ansys.com

Thanks for undersanding, but it is not possible to work with this environment at all, you just cannot re-take the part of the model to the environment as a model, not possible, I even cannot go vith the mouse to the field, it is not something the put the model there at all!!!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It is possible to open a DesignModeler agdb file in another session, and this is done in several tutorials in our meshing training course(s). Unfortunately I can't download Peter's file, so I can't check the upload worked, and I'm also not able to review what you've done due to the constraints of being on here as ANSYS staff. 

Please talk to your course supervisor as (hopefully) they're able to offer some guidance over the tutorials that you've already done.  

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Cannot you help me so easily and tell me what it the problem I make it, e. g. why I am not possible to start to work with the model that I was sent. It amazingly easy, so I believe you can easily do it very well! Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Is here someone, who will be able to add a minumum of the work to help me an easy way? Or not possible, till Peteroznewman will come? I just cannot believe that there are not the best people talking about the Ansys? Is it? Thanks It is so extremely easy!!!!

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello,

since I still have the problem to open the model of the small model of your collegue, I really want you to help me a bit, since it is absolutely easy and I will not have to wait for your colleague Mr. peteroznewman that wanted to help me, but I still do not know how to open the model and I do not have a problem with .wbpj project, just the model and if you want to get the model, please let me know easily. My email is georgiro@hotmail.com. Thanks

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello, so are you able to tell me how to get the information material of how to see the model? As you are saying in your comment. Thanks a lot. Jiri

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Peter has supplied an agdb file. If you double click on it in Windows what happens? What happens if you drag a workflow containing geometry onto the project section of Workbench and open the agdb through that? 

So far you've not said what is going wrong (can't do something isn't diagnostic) which makes it virtually impossible to help. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello, I would like to ask you if it is possible to change the operation in time, i. e. to change their time dependent operations to construct, the point is that in the model I have made I have not done some special casted volume as shown in the picture, but I need to put it to the middle of different operation, because I need to make the holes for the bolts afterwards, so the point is, how to do it before the holes will be done? Thanks, I have no idea how to do it.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

In the history tree of features in DesignModeler

You can RMB on a feature and Suppress & All Below. 

Then you can RMB on that first suppressed feature and Insert a new feature.

When you are done, RMB on the first suppressed feature and select Unsuppress & All Below. Note that sometimes the feature you inserted will break one of the later features, so you then have to edit the broken feature and repair it.

Regards,
      Peter

P.S.  Jiri, this discussion is getting too long, it has a Show More Posts button now. Please check the Is Solution link under one of the posts to close this discussion and open a New Discussion for a new question. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

OK, I will do it as you say. Thanks

Jiri

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.