General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Problem with the LINK180 element

• shehabi
      Subscriber

Hi..

I am trying to understand the modelling concept of cables (Tension only) by using a Link180 element.
      My model consists of a tower, which is bonded at the top by two ropes . I have modeled the tower as a beam and the tow cables as link180.
      To make sure that the model behaves right, i applied an external force at the top. in this case the axial force in one of the cables should be Zero and the other one positive.

My results doesn't show what i aim. i will be glad for any support.

Thanks..

• jj77
      Subscriber

You have most likely not set it to be tension only.

See this link on how to do that (add command snippet that is mentioned there)

https://www.ansystips.com/2018/04/tension-only-link180.html

Also mesh the link parts with one element along the length (otherwise it will be like a chain and it will not converge). The beam can have more elements, that is fine.

Finally we need to solve with large deflections on (as it says in the help for link180 - tension only option)

• shehabi
      Subscriber

Hi..

i have took your feedback to my consideration, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.. attached is the latest version..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuqfp3emslv2ncx/KAmitSeil.wbpz?dl=0

• BenjaminStarling
      Subscriber

You will need to turn large deflections on in the analysis settings.

I have a feature enhancement with LEAP Australia, that hopefully ends up with ANSYS, that this setting is not required in future and that the presence of the LINK180 (Tension/Compression only) will trigger the non linear solve. It is currently possible to trigger the behaviour without large deflections on if there is also a non linear contact defined in the model.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.