Fluids

Fluids

Problems with self-intersection in Fluent Meshing

• marco_ntnu
      Subscriber

Hello!

I want to mesh a cubic lattice structure as a solid to do some thermal simulations in Fluent. For this I have imported a stl file to Spaceclaim as a faceted body. While checking the faceted body for errors, I do not get any, especially no self-intersection one.

However, when I want to mesh it in Fluent Meshing, the surface mesh will fail as it has self-intersections all of a sudden.

is there a fix for this? Or is there already a problem with the stl file?

The goal would be to have a mesh with around 2 Million elements with a tetrahedral mesh.

Thank you very much already in advance!

PS: I have attached the workbench archive of this project as a split .rar file

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Staff are not permitted to open or download attachments. Can you check the surfaces in SC and see if there are any very small gaps?
    • marco_ntnu
      Subscriber
      Hey I checked the surfaces and no gaps were detected. However, in the end I managed to mesh it. It seems that a too big minimum size for the surface mesh caused self-intersecting mesh elements. After I set it to a low enough value, the mesh could be computed successfully.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Excellent. You'll have been bridging between surfaces so effectively created holes in the domain.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.