Electronics

Electronics

Problems with the simulation of the ports in HFSS

• AML
      Subscriber

Hello, 

I have made the design of an antenna in HFSS and I have a problem with the simulated response. When I feed the antenna with Wave Port I place the antenna on the edge of the radiation box and when I feed it with Lumped Port I place the antenna in the center of the simulation box and both responses do not give me the same (attached photo at the end). Should it be that way or is there something in the configuration that I have to change that I have not taken into account?

In both cases I feed the antenna with an SMA connector and use the Modal option of the Solution Type.

Thank you very much in advance

• Praneeth
      Ansys Employee

Please note that the the distance between the radiating element and the radiation boundary should be at least quarter wavelength.
      In your wave port case, you can place the antenna in the center of the radiation provided if you have a PEC backing. This would be automatically created in the latest version.
      Please look into the HFSS help document for more details.
      All the very best Praneeth.
    • AML
      Subscriber
      Thanks for your reply.
      As for the distance between the radiating element and the radiation limit, I have it as a quarter wavelength.
      I have used Wave Port with a PEC material in the center of the radiation box and I get a similar response to when I simulate the antenna with Lumped Port in the center of the radiation space. That is, with the same port (Wave Port) but placing the antenna on the edge of the simulation box or in the center it is still different.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.