3D Design

3D Design

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hello,

When i draw a rectangle and pull on it. Some pulls as a solid and some only the perimeter pull up. Not sure when does spaceclaim pulls only the perimeter or edges only.

Regards,

Sam 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Sam,

If you pick a face, you will pull a solid, if you pick curves or edges, you will pull a surface.

Please figure out how to set your screen capture utility so you don't end up with a huge whitespace at the bottom of your image.

Regards,

Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

I can't replicate what i did earlier. if i draw a rectangle it will always turn into a surface so when i pull on it it turns into solid.  i am not sure how i was able to generate that box ( only sides pulled out) that you saw earlier in my screen capture.

Regards,

Sam

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Sam,

Once a solid is created, you do 2 things 2 create a box. You can select a face and hit Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V. This will create a box of surfaces. Alternatively, you can use the Shell tool and specify a thickness to create a box of a certain thickness. Note that this will still be a solid body.

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Best Practices to post on the Student Community

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Sam,

Before you start your sketch if you enable the following option in options-sketch, It will not create surfaces automatically from the closed loops in the sketch. Is that what you want?

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Yes i did check"create layout curves" but i didnt know what it does. You answered my question. 

Thank you all!

Sam

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Regular curves in sketches will Auto-close if possible, even if nested or multiple-region-ed, in order to make the simplest set of surfaces.  Selecting curves manually for Pull can make that open box that you showed, or else selecting just edges of flat surfaces and pulling them, only.  This is usually useful for modeling, and can even (to a limited extent and until these auto-created faces are further complicated) revert to the original curves when returning to the sketch for further edits.

The Create Layout Curves option tells these curves not to be considered 'transient' and keeps them out of the automatic closing behavior when exiting the sketch, while also associating them to the plane in which they are defined. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.