October 17, 2018 at 6:41 pmShajee45610Subscriber
I am trying to recreate the FMVSS 216 Quasi-Static Roof Test for Motor Vehicles in Ansys 18.2. I tried using Static Structural Analysis when it occurred to me that there is no body interactions as is in the case of Explicit Dynamics. Is it possible to model this test using static structural or any other method? I have attached the real life test protocol. I am trying to run this test on an unconventional vehicle to assess its crashworthiness and its in conjunction to other research such as Full Width Frontal Impact which I ran on Explicit Dynamics.
Appreciate any help, this is for my FYP.
October 17, 2018 at 7:59 pmSandeep MedikondaAnsys Employee
As far as I am aware, Static Structural is not suited for Crashworthiness problems. You can try setting it up, but because of the high amount of deformation you would expect, it would probably be difficult to converge. Also, more importantly, note that inertial effects are very important in a crashworthiness problem and these won't be captured in Static Structural.
October 17, 2018 at 8:43 pmShajee45610Subscriber
Thanks Sandeep for your quick response.
I was more or less exploring the concept due to current protocols running Quasi-static tests. Anyway I have done a dynamic test as well just to see the results. Fortunately this isn't a major part of my project so all is well.
Many thanks for your feedback.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.