General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Quasi-Static Roof Test

• Shajee45610
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I am trying to recreate the FMVSS 216 Quasi-Static Roof Test for Motor Vehicles in Ansys 18.2. I tried using Static Structural Analysis when it occurred to me that there is no body interactions as is in the case of Explicit Dynamics. Is it possible to model this test using static structural or any other method? I have attached the real life test protocol. I am trying to run this test on an unconventional vehicle to assess its crashworthiness and its in conjunction to other research such as Full Width Frontal Impact which I ran on Explicit Dynamics.

Appreciate any help, this is for my FYP. 

Best Regards

Shajee

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Shajee,

As far as I am aware, Static Structural is not suited for Crashworthiness problems. You can try setting it up, but because of the high amount of deformation you would expect, it would probably be difficult to converge. Also, more importantly, note that inertial effects are very important in a crashworthiness problem and these won't be captured in Static Structural.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Shajee45610
      Subscriber

Thanks Sandeep for your quick response.

I was more or less exploring the concept due to current protocols running Quasi-static tests. Anyway I have done a dynamic test as well just to see the results. Fortunately this isn't a major part of my project so all is well.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Shajee

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.