Photonics

Photonics

Question about Mach-Zehnder Modulator for INTERCONNECT

• hcunmp
      Subscriber

When I did a project and used a Mach-Zehnder Modulator to implement feedback loop, I met a problem that the output signal has too much noise if the amplitude of input electrical signal is large.

The circuit below is designed to test the modulator. I am trying to replicate an experiment in an article and the parameters are set according to the article. But I am still adjusting the bias voltage to apply an appropriate phase shift.

• Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee
      Hi hcunmp
      What amplitudes of the signal are you using for the two plots? Note that you don't want to swing so far from the Vpi value of the MZM you defined.
    • hcunmp
      Subscriber
      Hi GWANG
      I adjusted scales of the plots to observe the waveforms. And these are the original plots.
      Do you mean the amplitude of input signal should not be much larger than the value of Vpi, which is the reason for the wrong results I received?

• Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee
      Hi hcunmp
      That's correct. Here in this page the "MZM pi dc/rf voltage" section explains the detail of how MZM functions: https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042819033
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.