General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Question related to modeling RC

• 19yuuki91
      Subscriber

Hi everyone. I apologize if I am asking something trivial or that has already been asked before.

Maybe, if you have checked my previous questions, you know that I am still fairly new with the program and the overall topic of FE modeling. In general, my goal is to be able to model some experimental data tested in the lab of my University. In that journey, I have tried doing several "simple" models to understand how the program works. In this particular instance, I wanted to try modeling an RC beam to understand the interaction between reinforcement and concrete. I thought it might somehow be a straightforward process, as there are plenty of tutorials regarding this. To get to the point, my beam model did not have any good agreement with the experimental data I had. In some cases it produced some weird errors that I tried googling but could not find any clear answers to them, hence this question.

For the modeling I used this tutorial right here (

" rel="nofollow">
      ) as guidance. However, as my model seemed "weird", I decided to replicate the exact same beam that was showed in that video tutorial, hoping I might find what I did wrong.

I did and I get an error related to the constrain equations used to "join" rebar and concrete. In my case I get this error:

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      HinWe do not recommend this old approach using old tech. solid65 elements.nnWe would recommend now to use solid186 elements (so default element when we mesh) with Menetrey-Willam (MW) concrete model (can be used within WB/Mech now so no snippets are needed/under geomech material/ for shear failure a dilatancy angle of 5 degrees is found to be a good start), and reinf264 that are automatically embedded in the concrete.nHow to use the embedded reinforcement and on using MW (reinf elements) see here:n

https://us.v-cdn.net/6032193/uploads/NB0CAWHYYTEG/7b5dc674a5-b00d-40d4-9038-fde816a06628-7d-png.jpgHello Ansys community,I have a project to do analysis of Reinforced concrete containing shear reinforcement and longitudinal top and bottom reinforcement. I am new to Ansys. I searched YouTube to find videos but I didn't get proper procedure. In many videos they use APDL commands solid 65 for concrete and link 180 for steel. Please help me how I will model this and explain solid 65 and link 180 command , as I am using US Customary units. Thankshttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/20744/error-with-menetry-william-concrete-model

nAll the best -n
    • 19yuuki91
      Subscriber
      thank you very much for your answer, I will try to use that material model and element instead. n
    • 19yuuki91
      Subscriber
      I wanted to do a follow up regarding this question. Firstly, I have implemented the MW model, but if it is possible I would like some help regarding the physical meaning of the factors to define the model. Also additionally, just to test the model, I used the values used in a technology example, but I get the following error:nThank you for your help once again n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.