General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Ramping of boundary conditions and elements killing on two named selections in a two step operation

• Ifexco
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I am trying to perform the killing of elements on two named selections in a two step operation. In the first step, I ramped the the pressure and forces but not sure of same for the second step, as there was no indication it was ramped like it was shown for the first step. Am I doing it in the right way? Kindly also check if the codes are okay.

Thank you.

Regards,

Emmanuel

Boundary Conditions:

For first step operation

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      Hi

We do not need to use any snippets to activate (ealive) or deactivate (ekill command) elements.

There is a button/option in the user interface (UI) where we can do that (so no need for command snippets).
      The button/option is under conditions drop list in the UI, and is called:
      Element Birth and Death.

All the best

Erik
    • Ifexco
      Subscriber
      Thanks very much Erik, I found it!
      But also please can you check if I had properly set the boundary conditions for the second step operation. I want the pressure and force to be ramped like in the first step operation.
      Thank you.
      Regards Emmanuel
    • Ifexco
      Subscriber
      thank you for point out that I could use the inbuilt element and death functionality. I tried using it but it seems not more than one analysis (either to kill the element or make them alive) can be performed on the current time step. If you try to include another element birth and death functionality, it will capture the same time step you put in earlier and hence you can't run on another time step. Please see figures below to illustrate this better.
      I tried performing element death on the highlighted portion in the first time step as shown below. But when I tried performing another element death operation on the next portion (underneath) and changed the current step to 2, the first one I previously set was also changed to 2. As such, I am not able to perform separate death operation on the two time steps for the two portions. Can you please suggest what I can do to enable me perform this operation for these portions using the two different time steps.
      Thank you.
      Regards Emmanuel

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.