Photonics

Photonics

Reconciling loss calculations in mode

• laserboi97
      Subscriber

Hi, I'm trying to calculate the approximate losses in a wave guide structure with a layer with a specific n,k defined (0.055, 3.7).

Using the mode solver, I obtain a modal loss is 70 dB/cm.

I have also calculated the confinement (power in lossy layer / overall mode power) in this lossy layer to be around 0.00062. The absorption coefficient converted from k = 3.7 is about 8.3 x10^5 /cm = 3.6 x 10^6 dB/cm. So the modal loss I approximate to be around 0.00062 * 3.6 x 10^6 = 2232 dB/cm, which seems very different to the loss calculated in the solver.

Am wondering if anyone is able to explain this discrepancy and/or if there's anything fundamentally wrong with the way I've calculated the modal loss.

Now, i would attach my script and files that i used to do the calculations, but seems with the new ANSYS format, I can't upload the lms/script files.

Thanks

• Taylor Robertson
      Ansys Employee

I think this argument is a bit dubious, and would check the conversion of kappa using the formulae outline here.
      https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034917493-Working-with-lossy-modes-and-dB-m-to-kappa-conversion

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.