March 16, 2022 at 3:10 amlaserboi97Subscriber
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the approximate losses in a wave guide structure with a layer with a specific n,k defined (0.055, 3.7).
Using the mode solver, I obtain a modal loss is 70 dB/cm.
I have also calculated the confinement (power in lossy layer / overall mode power) in this lossy layer to be around 0.00062. The absorption coefficient converted from k = 3.7 is about 8.3 x10^5 /cm = 3.6 x 10^6 dB/cm. So the modal loss I approximate to be around 0.00062 * 3.6 x 10^6 = 2232 dB/cm, which seems very different to the loss calculated in the solver.
Am wondering if anyone is able to explain this discrepancy and/or if there's anything fundamentally wrong with the way I've calculated the modal loss.
Now, i would attach my script and files that i used to do the calculations, but seems with the new ANSYS format, I can't upload the lms/script files.
ThanksMarch 29, 2022 at 10:05 pmTaylor RobertsonAnsys Employee
I think this argument is a bit dubious, and would check the conversion of kappa using the formulae outline here.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
Top Rated Tags
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.