Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Reduce file size (number of fluent and .cdat files)

• daniela
      Subscriber

Hi everyone, 

I'm using Ansys Fluent version 19.2. 

I need to do a longterm simulation (about 60s with a timestep of 0.001 s). Is there any possibility to reduce the size of my output fluent and .cdat files? In "calculation activities" I've set the timestep interval for autosave as 500. Nevertheless, I have a number of .cdat files in my dp0 folder that matches my number of timesteps. Can I somehow change this, to reduce the overall size of data? 

Thanks in advance! 

Regards, 

Daniela

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

try zipping it 

• daniela
      Subscriber

Is there no way, to just get an output of data after a certain number of timesteps? 

And can my CFD still read the data, when it's zipped? 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

When you save add .gz to the end of the file name, this will auto-zip the case & data files.  Whilst cdat files are smaller than full dat you may miss saving something you need: stop using these for now and save the data. 

For the current project double check you're saving on time step and not iteration. 

• daniela
      Subscriber

I've just seen, that I'm saving .dat.gz files every 500 time step (just as I want) - but additionally there are .cas and .cdat files saved every time step. Is this necessary - or how can this be changed? Every .cdat and .cas file has a size of about 14 MB. 

Thanks in advance!

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

there are some options in autosave. 

1. each time: case file will be saved each time data file is saved. 

2. only if modified: if your mesh is changing like using dynamic mesh then case file will be saved while saving data file. if mesh is not changing then case file will not be saved with data file. 

3. retain only most recent files: you can use this option to retain only last say 10 files. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.