December 20, 2018 at 9:22 amdanielaSubscriber
I'm using Ansys Fluent version 19.2.
I need to do a longterm simulation (about 60s with a timestep of 0.001 s). Is there any possibility to reduce the size of my output fluent and .cdat files? In "calculation activities" I've set the timestep interval for autosave as 500. Nevertheless, I have a number of .cdat files in my dp0 folder that matches my number of timesteps. Can I somehow change this, to reduce the overall size of data?
Thanks in advance!
December 20, 2018 at 9:31 amKeyur KanadeAnsys Employee
try zipping it
December 20, 2018 at 9:40 amdanielaSubscriber
Is there no way, to just get an output of data after a certain number of timesteps?
And can my CFD still read the data, when it's zipped?
December 20, 2018 at 2:59 pmRobAnsys Employee
When you save add .gz to the end of the file name, this will auto-zip the case & data files. Whilst cdat files are smaller than full dat you may miss saving something you need: stop using these for now and save the data.
For the current project double check you're saving on time step and not iteration.
December 20, 2018 at 3:04 pmdanielaSubscriber
I've just seen, that I'm saving .dat.gz files every 500 time step (just as I want) - but additionally there are .cas and .cdat files saved every time step. Is this necessary - or how can this be changed? Every .cdat and .cas file has a size of about 14 MB.
Thanks in advance!
December 21, 2018 at 4:23 amKeyur KanadeAnsys Employee
there are some options in autosave.
1. each time: case file will be saved each time data file is saved.
2. only if modified: if your mesh is changing like using dynamic mesh then case file will be saved while saving data file. if mesh is not changing then case file will not be saved with data file.
3. retain only most recent files: you can use this option to retain only last say 10 files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
- ANSYS License Manager Error
- Limitations to Student License?
- Problem with ANSYS 18.2 SpaceClaim
- “An error occurred while starting the solver module.” – Maybe licence problem?
- Missing Analysis Systems from toolbox
- Please recommend the configuration of the computer workstation
- ANSYS 19.1: Can not link the geometry
- The Fluent Application Failed to Start.
- Abnormal Exit Error
- 19.1 FREE Student Products are Released