Fluids

Fluids

Reference values in fluent

• Arunkumarmoovandan37
      Subscriber
      Hi all I'm doing aerodynamic analysis over a NACA 0012 wing with a chord length of 10cm and span of 30cm.nWhen calculating cl and cd values, do I need to specify area and length in the reference values section or can I leave it as default values of unityn
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello, nYou will need to specify area both. This area value is in the calculation of Cd and Cl. If you are running a 2D simulation, then this area will be the Chord length times unity (depth in the third direction). Just FYI.nThanks.nKarthikn
    • Arunkumarmoovandan37
      Subscriber
      Reference length will be like the chord length or the wing span in the case of wing analysis.nAnd also, when simulating for fuselage or the whole aircraft what will be the reference area and reference length.n
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      The fuselage or the aircraft generally don't produce much lift. But having said that, if you are comparing any values from experiments, I'd recommend that you use the same length scales as those used to estimate the lift and drag coefficients. I'd strongly recommend taking a look at some papers to see how these coefficients are estimated. nThanks.nKarthikn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.