January 20, 2023 at 2:24 pmNihit RajSubscriber
The problem we are stuck in is that we have to calculate the life of a gear for the gearbox of our BAJA vehicle. We tried calculating using the fatigue tool in ANSYS static structural (using revolute joints).
The significant doubt I have is to which extent the calculated life is correct and whether it takes all mechanical factors into account or not (like the Dynamic Load factor, Reliability factor, Velocity factor, etc that are mentioned in the standard IS-4460 Gear Calculations, I've attached a picture of the list of factors) if not then how to capture these factors while calculating the fatigue life of gears.
Thanks in advance, I'll be highly obliged for it.
January 26, 2023 at 7:03 pmDaniel ShawAnsys Employee
The Mechanical Fatigue Tool (FT) directly uses the Mechanical calculated nodal stresses. It does not directly do IS0-4460 fatigue calculations. The FT has one general Fatigue Reduction Factor (Kf) that can be used to adjust the calculated stresses to include a reduction in resistance to fatigue damage for conditions such as surface finish. To include all the factors identified in IS-4460 in the FT calculations, you would need to determine the accumulated effect of all those factors and apply it as Kf. Also, some of the factors you identified (such as, size factor and endurance limit) are typically included by adjusting the S-N curve rather than the alternating.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.