Fluids

Fluids

Regarding Material Properties in Fluent

• vsjay3
      Subscriber

Hi All,

This maybe a simple question but is important for me. In the material properties dialogue box (MPDB for short) of Fluent shown below, it shows a list of properties for the selected material. For example when I am modelling water, the material properties displayed for water are "density, specific heat capacity, thermal conductivity and viscosity".

Assuming that the relevant Fluent models have been selected, my question is:

are the material properties displayed in the MPDB the only properties of water that Fluent uses to perform the calculations or are there any extra hidden properties of water I cannot see in the MPDB that Fluent uses internally when calculating the solution.

In short, are the material properties displayed in the MPDB (for a specific material) the only properties of the selected material that Fluent takes into its calculation?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Only the properties which are required by the active models are shown. More properties will show up when the related models are activated.n
    • vsjay3
      Subscriber
      Thank you for your clear answer.nJust to confirm:nFor the liquids I use in my simulation model, only the density, specific heat capacity, thermal conductivity and viscosity properties are shown in the material properties dialogue box. So from your answer I take that density, specific heat capacity, thermal conductivity and viscosity are the only properties required for my simulation model.nThe reason I asked this is, I am currently creating a new fluid material in a User defined database for the same simulation model I'm running. So when creating a new fluid material, it will be correct if I only choose the density, specific heat capacity, thermal conductivity and viscosity properties from the available property list, correct ? (since they are the only properties shown in the material property dialogue box for my simulation model)nThank you very much!nn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You only need the properties that are shown in the panel, other properties are exposed as and when they're needed. We don't have any hidden extras in the materials panel. n
    • vsjay3
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much . Appreciate the advice.n
    • YasserSelima
      Subscriber
      thermal conductivity and heat capacity appear when you turn on energy equation ... viscosity is used in the viscous model, so it will appear in the properties unless you use inviscid n
    • vsjay3
      Subscriber
      Thank you Arrayfor your response.nI'm actually facing another issue. So I created custom fluid which is water-custom in my user defined database. However, when I try to delete that from the user defined database it gives the below error and I cannot delete it : nError: GENERAL-CAR-CDR: invalid argument [1]: improper listnError Object: #fnnI am not sure why.nAny help is appreciated.nThank you very much.n
    • YasserSelima
      Subscriber
      Don't delete it ... just don't use it in your setup.n
    • vsjay3
      Subscriber
      Thanks but may I know why I can't delete it?n
    • YasserSelima
      Subscriber
      I don't know ... GENERAL-CAR-CDR probably means some data are missing but I don't know what data !n
    • vsjay3
      Subscriber
      I see...I just thought that I couldn't delete it since it is the only material in the list...because if you add more materials you can delete those...but last one remaining cannot be deletedn
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nYes, you need to have at least two materials (one solid and fluid) because the cell zones would use them as default values. Please don't delete everything under materials.nKarthikn
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.