General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Residual Stress in Fused Depositon modeling?

• lakhamanbhai
      Subscriber
      I am working on residual stress simulation of FDM part in ANSYS. I have successfully implimented element death and birth for smaller elements. Now i want to simulate complex geometry. For that i have to guide my thermal load accoring to location of deposition nossel. Can you please let me know how to use Gcode gnerated from 3D printing to ANSYS input and may be some way to convert it. My thermal load is temprature and i have to use element birth simulteniously.n
    • lakhamanbhai
      Subscriber

I am working on residual stress simulation of FDM part in ANSYS. I have successfully implimented element death and birth for smaller elements. Now i want to simulate complex geometry. For that i have to guide my thermal load accoring to location of deposition nossel. Can you please let me know how to use Gcode gnerated from 3D printing to ANSYS input and may be some way to convert it. My thermal load is temprature and i have to use element birth simulteniously.https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/25588/residual-stress-in-fused-depositon-modeling

Dear @jjdoyle, ,nCould you please have a look at the problem. Your valuable expertise on the problem will give me a kick start my simulation.n
    • John Doyle
      Ansys Employee
      I am not familiar with GCode. The additive manufacturing simulation in WB-Mechanical and MAPDL use a lumped layered approach. It applies melt temperature to an entire lumped layer all at once. The one element lumped layer might represent several (~10 to 20) deposition layers. The assumptions are explained in Chapter 2 of the AM Analysis Guide. Under the hood, it is using EKILL and EALIVE, but it is not modeling the local laser path discretely. n
    • lakhamanbhai
      Subscriber
      nnThank you very much for the explaination. Could please let me know weather i can use this for fused deposition modeling or i have to create my own MAPDL codel?nThank you in advance.nnRegards,nLakhaman Odedaran
    • John Doyle
      Ansys Employee
      Isn't Fused Deposition modeling intended more for rapid prototyping with thermoplastic materials? What is the material in your application? Are you expecting excessive distortion during the build? As you know, WB-Additive is intended to simulate Powder Bed Fusion (PBD) and Direct Energy Deposition (DED) methods for fully-dense (no porosity) production of metal parts yielding in accordance with von Mises Yield Criteria. Are you comfortable with these assumptions together with the lumped layered approach? That is more of an engineering question that can only be answered by you, given your knowledge of the expected material behavior and also the challenges specific to the geometry you are trying to build. n
    • lakhamanbhai
      Subscriber
      nnThank you very much for the reply. I am working on thermoplastic materrial which is PA6 with short carbon fiber. There will be distorstion because of polymer. I not sure about the assumption but is there any way to configure WB additive for such simulation. nThank you in advance.n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.