Fluids

Fluids

Rotational motion of an object with the object keeping the same orientation

• aubnku
      Subscriber

Hello, I have to simulate the rotation of a fluid inside this part which is rotating around the Z-axis with a 30mm radius.

The problem is that when i click on preview mesh motion my body is also rotating. (see picture attached)

My objective is to have a rotation of 30mm but with my body part which is keeping the same orientation.

Do you have any ideas to process this problem ? 

Thanks a lot for your answers ! 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Common issue. You need to rotate two bodies so that the red one rotates relative to the body that’s following the green path. Have a look at some of the VAWT threads on here as it's a technique used in those models. 

• C N
      Ansys Employee

hello 

In addition to that 

I recommend you to distinctly separate the fluid and the object under cell zones setting and create two zones. 

Then create a profile for the object and then for the fluid with appropriate requirements.

Then apply the dynamic meshing option in which set the stationary motion option type to  the object .

By default if no motion (moving or deforming) is assigned to boundary or cell zone, this zone is not considered during the mesh update. Then apply rigid body motion option to fluid about z axis orientation by loading that fluid profile.This may solve your problem and then the object will not rotate along with the fluid. You can also create a separate udf instead of creating profile. For further understanding please check on dynamic meshing tutorials from users guide. hope it may solve your problem.

thank you

• aubnku
      Subscriber

Hello ! Thank you, I will try everything you told me and get back to you if I have any issue. I'm quite new to using UDF but I guess there are tutorials available

Thanks 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

There are tutorials in the manual.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.