3D Design

3D Design

roughness on a cylindrical surface

• andrei2020
      Subscriber

Hello,

Based on solution #2057530 from the Ansys Customer Portal I would like to generate roughness on a cylindrical surface instead of a square one (as it is in the example) working with ADPL. I have tried to create a cylindrical coordinate system, enable it CSYS,1 and define radius instead of length as one of the parameters but with no success. Does anyone can help me to generate roughness peaks on a cylindrical surface in Mechanical? I am going to attach the square example and related ADPL commands. Thank you in advance for your support.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrei,

If you can access the solutions on the customer portal, may I request you to post the question as a SR instead?

-Aniket

How to access Ansys Online Help Document

How to show full resolution image

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to use Google to search within Ansys Student Community

• andrei2020
      Subscriber

Hello Aniket,

I was able to access the customer portal but unable to post any requests. Now I cannot. I am very sorry if my inquiry does not follow this community's rules. If so, I will delete my post asap. Thank you for your understanding.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrei, sorry for the confusion here, I don't think you would be able to log a service request. From your email address, I thought you were a commercial user. But for university users, this is the forum where you can post your questions. 

Also, your post follows community guidelines well, so no need to delete the post.

Coming back to your query, Let me check it and get back to you, thanks for your patience!

-Aniket

• andrei2020
      Subscriber

Thank you for your answer. Indeed I am an University user. Thank you also for your time and willingness to assist me with my problem.

• Rahul Kumbhar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Adrei,

I can suggest different approach. 

Create radius table

*dim,rad,table,xpts,ypts,1,x,y

!create loop over

rad(i,j)=SQRT((x)*(x)+(y)*(y))

Create Gauss distribution table for radius

*DIM,gauss_table,TABLE,radiuspoints,,,rad

!create loop over

gauss_table(i,0)=r(radiuspoints)

gauss_table(i,1)=use formula for gauss distribution as a function of r

!create loop over X and Y location

nsel,s,loc,x,xpts

nsel,r,loc,y,ypts

radius=rad(xpts,ypts)

nmodif,all,,,depth+gauss_table(%radius%,1)

• andrei2020
      Subscriber

Thank you a lot for your interest and help. I will try to insert those as APDL commands if possible. Would it be too much to ask of you if I would ask for a working example saved maybe as an archive (with values for the radius, width and depth freely chosen)? Thank you again for all your efforts and kind advices.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee
    • andrei2020
      Subscriber

That's OK. I will try to make the best of it. I would like to thank again Mr. rkumbhar for his time and effort in assisting me and of course all others for their patience and support. Thank you all.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

andrei2020, just one suggestion. Please mark Rahul's answer as a solution if that solves your issue!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.