Fluids

Fluids

Running icemCFD remotely

Tagged: ,

• AlijaBevrnja
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is a way to run icemcfd remotely?

I am using a home Windows machine with Xming (to enable graphical user interface applications) and also an office openSUSE machine, where icemcfd is installed and that has direct communication to the license server. I am able to run the program locally, but when I log to my machine using ssh and try running the application, I get some error.

I am using absolutely no command line arguments, so I assume I am missing one or two here.

Upon running the icemcfd command, I get the following error:

2021/06/09 11:30:45   ERROR                                                                               some_big_number/0/0/0

Unable to retrieve IP for host my_office_computer_name.

Host not found: my_office_computer_name

I am not sure if some_big_number is an error code or part of license, so I am hiding it for now.

With kind regards,

Alija Bevrnja

• George Karnos
      Ansys Employee
      Are you connected through VPN to your office?
      What happens if you ping the hostname of your office machine?
      Open Dos Window
      Type in: ping (hostname of office machine)
    • AlijaBevrnja
      Subscriber
      Yes I am connected to the office through a VPN. The ping works fine and I can work remotely, but I guess that port forwarding could be an issue. My PC is associated with a specific port behind a collective router, so in order to connect to it, I have to specify port as well. Now, ping does not let me ping a specific port, but using powershell's Test-NetConnection I confirmed that the office PC is visible from my home office with the last line reading: TcpTestSucceeded : True
      So I assume now that icemcfd does not know how to use the already existing connection between my home and office PCs, established through ssh.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.