General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Safety Factor Cannot be Viewed

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

Hi

I want to view the safety factor for my model which I have conducted for static structural analysis. However, the error message "Yield Strength is required but not defined' kept appearing. Same goes for ultimate strength. How do I go about defined these 2 parameters?

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Hi, 

You can input these parameters in the Engineering Data. They are in the Strength section as shown in the image below. 

Hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Rohith

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

Hi Rohith

Mine is shown like this

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

I have inputed the young's modulus and poisson's ratio for the materials that I used for my simulation

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

I have also inputed the tensile yield strength and tensile ultimate strength for the respective materials but I'm not sure why I can't get the safety factor out as the same error occured.

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Could you please click on the new material and look at this table. 

I believe, they are greyed out, since they are already defined for the default material i.e. Static Structural. 

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

Yes, they are greyed out because I have defined them. But I'm not too sure why these errors keeps appearing even after defining the values

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Can you double check if the materials are correctly assigned to the details of the geometry? Click on the part of interest and check assignment?

Also, please post some snapshots of your structure tree if that doesn't work along with what you have in Engineering Data?

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Guidelines to the student community

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep

Yes, the materials are correctly assigned to the details of the geometry. However, I don't understand why is it that when I click on 'Stress Too'- 'Mohr-Coulomb Stress'- 'Safety Factor', the following pops up:

And when I clicked on 'Max equivalent stress', 'Max shear stress' and 'Max tensile stress', it shows me a safety factor of 15 for both max and min. 

Any ideas?

• melalisa96
      Subscriber

Oh, and I want to analyse the fatigue life of the model and the error- "An error occured inside the FATIGUE model. Invalid or missing stress life curve." pops up. How do I go about implementing the stress life curve or even correct it? Because I've inputed all material properties and matched them to the respective bodies.

• NawafRasheed
      Subscriber

I've the same problem

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have to have a S-N Curve defined from the Life category of the Engineering Data toolbox. See Structural Steel for an example.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.