Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

Sand-grain Roughness model to simulate corrugated pipe walls.

• eduardo.delarocha
      Subscriber

Dear all,

I am working on the development of an Earth-Air Heat Exchanger (EAHE) and I was wondering if the Sand-grain Roughness model could be used to simulate the thermal performance of corrugated pipe walls (of about 10 mm).

I tried to geometrically draw the corrugation but the model was very heavy when I launched the simulations.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards.

• Swathi V. V.
      Ansys Employee
      Hi As per policy, Ansys Employees are not allowed to download pictures. Can you insert the image of the same.
      It is possible depending on what kind of corrugation you are modelling. If the corrugations are tiny (relative to the flow passage), then modelling it as a rough wall works. I would recommend you try validating your work with a similar cases before actual works.
      • eduardo.delarocha
        Subscriber

Hello! Thank you very much for your answer, and sorry I did not answer before.

Corrugations would be of about 10 mm, while the pipe length is about 300 m, the diameter is about 0.5 m, and the flow velocity is about 1.5 m/s (see inserted picture).

Thanks again!

Best regards.

• Rob
      Forum Moderator
      • eduardo.delarocha
        Subscriber

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your answer, I will look at it.

Best regards.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Sand-grain Roughness model to simulate corrugated pipe walls.’ is closed to new replies.