Photonics

Photonics

Saturable Absorber using optical nonlinear S parameter in Lumerical Interconnect

• Sugeet Sunder
      Subscriber

I saw the example on the optical nonlinear S parameter, I still did not understand how is the intensity varying absroption coefficient implemented? How is the text file generated etc. What is the meaning of the term abs(s)?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

According to this article, the data format is:

\(voltage_1\) Pport1mode1 Pport1mode2 Pport2mode1 Pport2mode2 \(f_1\) abs(s) angle(S) 
      for 1by1 port2 with 2by2 modes.

abs(s) means the absolute value of s parameter.
      Pport... means the power.

The intensity varying absroption is embeded inside the s parameters with certain algorithms, which is not open to public.

My colleague may comment for more.

• Sugeet Sunder
      Subscriber

This element more generic and not specific for saturable absorbers, then how is it hidden. Would love to hear more, in the meantime, thank you for the reply

• Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sugeet, 

In the data file, the s-parameter is defined for each frequency, then each power of different modes of the input ports. In this way the output of the model is defined based on both the electrical input and the optical input power. The text file is generated based on simulation data and write using the "write" commands. The term abs(s) means the amplitude of the s-parameter, then the angle(s) means the angle of the s-parameter (both are single value at each frequency point, defines the complex transmission of the model under that frequency). 

Hope this can help.

• Sugeet Sunder
      Subscriber

Thank you, that helps alot.

If I had to generate a similar text file with my own intensity dependent absorption etc, is there an example that I can work on?

• Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sugeet,

You may refer to the example on this page: https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036107954-Optical-Nonlinear-S-Parameter-SPAR-INTERCONNECT-Element

• Sugeet Sunder
      Subscriber

Thansk you for the response, but this is exactkly the example that I mean to discuss here. My question is about generating the text file, how could I generate a new text file based on the reponse chqaracteristics that I require

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.