General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Seat Welds, and Uplift forces

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

This is a joist seat that will be welded to support  with 2" long fillet weld at the toes of bottom seat angles as shown. An uplift force(blue arrow) will lift seat up. So the only connection between the seat assembly and support is the 2" long fillet weld on the side(angle toe). The top angles and bottom angles are welded only on the inside with 3" fillet on each side. Under uplift load, the bottom angle horizontal legs will flex or bend and/ or the top and bottom angles may open up at the toe of the vertical leg of seat angle.

1. How do i model the support/seat connection?

2. Is welded treated as solid, but i need to assign different material properties for the weld?

3. How does Ansys know that the weld is connected to two materials together?

4. How do I draw a solid rod between the top angles? the rod will be welded to top angles.

Regards,  

Sam

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Sam,

Here is a video on making the four weld fillets on the edges. I will look at the rod next.

Regards,
      Peter

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is the rod video.

Regards,
      Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Excellent. Thank you so much Peter!

Regards,

Sam

• kaitova
      Subscriber
      Hi Sam, Peter, do you have example of the analysis after this geometry was completed?nThank you!n
    • kaitova
      Subscriber
      Hi, can you please take a look and say what is your opinion? Does it look like righ simulation? Thank you!nn
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nSince the angles are coming apart, I would say it is not right.nYou have used only one element through the thickness. You should mesh these solids with two elements through the wall thickness of the angles.n
    • kaitova
      Subscriber
      Thank you, Petern
    • kaitova
      Subscriber
      n
    • kaitova
      Subscriber
      Hi Peter, @peteroznewman, thank you again for your advices.nI have finished the model, please see results, I have used steel material from the library. Load is 100N, BCs are shown below, autoscaling was used before, sorry. nThank younnn
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nLooks good to me.n
    • kaitova
      Subscriber
      Thank you, n
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.