General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Seeing cracks in concrete

• to2020
      Subscriber
      Hi, nI have read through the forums and found that if I was to see the cracks appearing in the concrete, I would need to use SOLID65. But since that is a legacy element, I have seen the CPT215 being recommended. I have seen that you can use the Druker-Pager Model with it. I have the following properties for concrete: nUltimate Tensile Strength = 2.3MPa nUltimate Compressive Strength = 40MPanBiaxial compressive strength = 48MPa nUltimate compressive strength for a state of biaxiam compression superimposed on hydrostatic stress state = 58MPa nUltimate compressive strength for a state of uniaxial compression superimposed on hydrostatic stress state = 69MPa nnI was wondering how I can input these values to model the concrete? I have very limited knowledge of inputting commands into ANSYS. Could someone please show me a similar example/instructions to how I can do this? nI have tried to use the Mechanical APDL to write the script for SOLID65, but since I am modelling pull-out of rebar (with ribs) from concrete, it wasn't letting me to input some values as it was saying some of the angles are over the error limit. nAlso, there is a NL Concrete material in the ANSYS Engineering Data Library, if I were to use that, would that still allow me to see the cracks in concrete? nIf someone could help it would be wonderful! Thank you! n
    • Bill Bulat
      Ansys Employee
      For SOLID65, the legacy PLCRACK command is used to visualize cracks in brittle material:nnnFor SOLID65, the failure criteria are entered using the TB family of commands:nnI assigned Concrete NL to a body in Mechanical and wrote out the ds.dat file to see what it did. In the ds.dat I do NOT see any APDL commands that would define nonlinear material properties. I'm not sure why this is so, nor if I perhaps am missing something, but for the time being I do not think Concrete NL is a material model you would want to use.nAdditional details regarding SOLID65 may be found in the attached presentation.n:nBest,nBilln
    • to2020
      Subscriber
      nnThank you for the response. So if I was to use the SOLID65 model, would the APDL commands be written here? nIf not could you please suggest where? Also, since the concrete would be in contact with a reinforcement bar - which has the ribs modelled, ANSYS has assigned SOLID187 by default, would I be required to type in the APDL commands for its contact? If so, how do I do that? nThank you so much! n
    • DrDalyO
      Subscriber
      Hey! I posted a new video on how to model concrete using the CPT215 elements instead of Solid65. Its pretty straight forward and may help:
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.