General Mechanical

General Mechanical

self contacting

• sombodyfromtheworld
      Subscriber

Hi

I'm trying to simulate a machined spring with rectangular cross section profile. First i want to make it with shell face elements. I specified the thickness of the coil in geometry tab, created a frictionless contact for the same contact and target face. But it seems like ansys doesnt take into account the the face has thickness and results shown full penetration thru the coils. How can I prevent penetration?

BTW there is an option in contact tab "Shell thickness effect" but when i set it to "YES" the contact becomes inactive.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      May I suggest to Split this surface by a plane that passes through the axis of the spring, this way you can create separate contacts instead of just one and then be able to use shell thickness effect. n-AniketnHow to access Ansys help linksnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forumn
    • sombodyfromtheworld
      Subscriber
      ThanksnIn this case I create a lot of surfaces, don't I? nI think it should be a simpler way to set the right parameters in the contact tab.nnreg.S. n
    • Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      Yes you will get many surfaces and you can use shared topology after splitting the helical spring so all parts share nodes at slice plane.n-AniketnHow to access Ansys help linksnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forumn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.