General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Semi-Elliptical Crack Definition for SMART Crack Growth

• TomC
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I'm having with the SMART Crack Growth tool.

Basically, I cannot fully define the SMART Crack Growth object. The crack selection box is highlighed yellow - I believe this means that the crack I selected (Semi-Elliptical Surface Crack, SEC) is incompatible in some way with SMART Crack Growth.

I defined a Pre-meshed Crack, which I am more familiar with, and it worked as expected with the SMART Crack Growth tool.

The SEC solved successfully without the SMART Crack object.

I tried a few adjustments of the mesh settings in the SEC without seeing any changes. Both the body mesh and the fracture mesh are Tet10 elements.

I think the troubleshooting I have done indicates that the issue is entirely within the SEC object. I am not sure what else to do from here. I am using ANSYS 2020 R2.

I'm trying to define a crack with a minor axis of 25 um and a major axis of 175 um, and want to run a fatigue crack growth definition. Any suggestions on how to define it so that it will work with the SMART crack tool?

Thanks,

Tommy

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Can you check to see if Crack Faces Nodes is set to 'On':
      SMART needs both of those named selections.

• TomC
      Subscriber
      Thanks David. That was exactly it. I was hoping it was something easy.
    • David Weed
      Ansys Employee
      Glad that helped,
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.