Fluids

Fluids

Separation disk

• papatel
      Subscriber

Dear Team,

I am simulating hydrogen gas diffusion, where 2 chambers (high and low pressure) are designed. Hydrogen is stored with 10 MPa pressure in a high-pressure chamber (As shown in the attached image), and it is released into the low-pressure chamber which has ambient pressure. In order to separate both chambers or avoid gas mixing before simulations, there is a separation disk.

My question is how to introduce a separation disk in Fluent. it should work in a way that the separation disk opens suddenly (according to what I set up a time) and high-pressure hydrogen gas is released into the low-pressure environment so I can analyze shock waves.

Please note that I am working in 3D geometry.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      One option is to initialise the domain (use standard not hybrid) and then patch the high pressure. If you want the disc to instantly not be there you don't even need to include it. Note, the time step is going to need to be VERY small and the mesh well resolved to capture the sudden expansion, shocks etc. as 100bar is going to expand very rapidly.
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Set it as a wall and then after time elpases set it as interior boundary. If you want to automate that you can look into dynamic mesh events ( you won't require any dynamic mesh for using the function I have in mind )
    • papatel
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much, Dear Rob, and Dr. Amine. I will follow the suggestions and will get back to you if further help is required.
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Great!
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.