Fluids

Fluids

Sequence for animation disappear after closing Fluent

• ecrod
      Subscriber

Hi all,

More a technical than theoretical problem, I work transient state and need to do videos of my simulation. So (Fluent 19.2) I use calculation activities >>solution animations and I define record after every 100 time steps and storage type is HSF file sequence.

It works but the problem is if I close Fluent then reopen it with the case and data saved  the sequence (hsf and cxa files) disappear.

Does anyone have the same problem and know how to solve it ?

Thanks a lot!

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Do you see somewhere the hsf and cxa files?
    • ai0013
      Subscriber

Yeah, I had the same problem in Fluent 18.1. The animation tool worked only with the current .cas and .dat files that started the sequence. Even though I stored the .cxa and .hsf files correctly, once you close the fluent session that started the animation export, you won't be able to re-animate with a new session.

What I did was to export .ppm and manually post-process them with Matlab. I personally prefer ..tiff formats (high-quality images). 

• ecrod
      Subscriber

There are no files. It was all deleted.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

what do you mean with your comment?

• ecrod
      Subscriber

This "problem"  was related in version 18.1 by alainislas, And is still happening in version 19.2.

Is It a problem of Fluent  version ? Can be solved somehow ?

Best Regards

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The alternative is to write the images out every some time steps and stitch them together afterwards. Animations may need to be saved before you shut down (I don't use them as I've lost too many due to system outages or solver issues caused by working on support cases). 

• ecrod
      Subscriber

Thank you. I will follow your suggestions.

What do you mean with "Animations may need to be saved before you shut down" ?

Would be to copy and paste somewhere before finish Fluent session ?

Thanks.

• Hafiz
      Subscriber
      Hi, ,nI am facing the same problem as discussed above. I created an animation and selected the .hsf file format to save animation files. However, I closed the fluent before playing and writing the animation video. Now, even though I find all saved animation hsf files in the folder, I am unable to play the sequence after re-opening the fluent session. nAny idea or suggestion on how to restore the animation?n
    • ai0013
      Subscriber
      As you can see above I had exactly the same problem in fluent 18.1. Even though you save all .hsf and .cxa correctly, if you re-open these files with a different fluent session somehow it doesn't play the animation. I don't know if this has been fixed in later releases. nAnyways, my suggestion is to export hard copies instead, and then post-process the animation manually with any other program (matlab, ffmpeg, etc..)n
    • Hafiz
      Subscriber

Hi @Hafiz

As you can see above I had exactly the same problem in fluent 18.1. Even though you save all .hsf and .cxa correctly, if you re-open these files with a different fluent session somehow it doesn't play the animation. I don't know if this has been fixed in later releases.

Anyways, my suggestion is to export hard copies instead, and then post-process the animation manually with any other program (matlab, ffmpeg, etc..)

Thank you for your suggestion. You mean instead of saving hsf files, choose ppm file format to save sequence images?

• ai0013
      Subscriber
      Yep, or you can also change the file format to .jpg, .tiff, etc... n
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      It should open the animation file in Fluent session even without loading the case file. I prefer a pragmatic way in exporting images via execute commands and using ffmpeg or Ansys Env to create animations. Same can be done with Solution Animation and afterwards storing the playback as images.n
    • Hafiz
      Subscriber
      Thank you. The problem has been solved.nI first selected a ppm file format before starting the simulation to save the animation. Later, I saved animation images as picture files ( jpeg and tiff format separately) and combined them using a windows video editor. It works well.
    • Hesam062
      Subscriber
      I also had the same problem that after reopening the fluent and reading case and data the .cxa file didn't work for me.nI tried it again by reopening a new fluent session and NOT reading the case an data and then I was able to play the .cxa and made MPEG video.nn
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.