Photonics

Photonics

Setting about FDTD Region and mesh

• Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee
      What is the most efficient way to set FDTD Region or mesh?n
    • Guanhui Wang
      Ansys Employee
      Here is the process I use when setting up the mesh for an FDTD simulation:nSetup the size of the FDTD simulation 226 region. For PML boundaries, it?s best to leave about 1/2 wavelength of space between the edge of the critical structures and the PML boundary.nSet the ?mesh accuracy? to a value of 1 or 2. This will give a mesh size of about 6 or 10 mesh points per wavelength, which is a good mesh size for initial simulations. Later, when I want to get higher accuracy results, I will increase the mesh accuracy setting, often to around 3-5.nAdd mesh override 225 regions around the critical regions of the simulation volume. For example, if there is a small metal particle in the simulation, I would probably add an override region around the particle. Initially, I will set the mesh size to be reasonably large, such as using the same mesh size that is generated by the automatic mesh. However, during convergence testing, the mesh override region can be used to force the mesh to be much smaller. Typically, it is more important to make the mesh small around the critical structures of the device, rather than making the mesh small throughout the bulk regions of the simulation (ie. with the mesh accuracy setting).nn
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.