Fluids

Fluids

setting DPM results as an output prameter in Workbench/fluent prameter analysis

• reza121
      Subscriber

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

I am studying the particle capture efficiency of some custom-made screens in a duct (like a filter). I solve the case in the steady state and use steady DPM as a post-process after convergence. I have created a journal file that reads the injection files (a total of 10 injection groups for different mono-size particles) and then writes the summary of the DPM results in a file in a designated directory. The summary contains the total number of tracked parcels, the number that escaped, and the number that was trapped on each of my walls. In the end, I have 10 files with the suffix ".sum" in the designated directory.

I am planning to do a parameter study on Workbench and set the inlet velocity as the input parameter. One of my desired output parameters is pressure drop that I can set it using an area-weighted average on my inlet and outlet plane. I have been able to do that so far. However, there is no DPM report that could be set as an output parameter. The only ones that I could find were "escaped mass" or "evaporated mass" which are not what I'm looking for.

Is there any way that I could get Workbench to run my particle tracking journal file (as explained above) at the end of each design point simulation? I also need to change the directory in which the summaries are saved for each design point, so they wouldn't be overwritten.

Thanks for your time in advance

• Prashanth
      Ansys Employee

Hi 

Have you considered using Execute commands for your requirement? You can input the equivalent TUI command for reading your journal file and execute it post calclation. And refer to this section for numbering the files (to avoid overwriting) that are written: 3.1.7. Automatic Numbering of Files

• reza121
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply Prashanth.

let me start with the Automatic numbering first. Thanks for sharing the Automatic file numbering issue. I checked it and I guess that's what I needed. Still, I would like my DPM results to be written in a subdirectory named as the inlet velocity which is my study parameter here and changes in different cases. what is the correct special character for that? For example, %f and %i are the special characters for flow time and iteration respectively. how can I get my inlet velocity and use that number in my writing directory?

The line of code that needs to be modified in my journal file is the following:

(cx-gui-do cx-set-file-dialog-entries "Select File" '( "/lustre07/scratch/reza121/NEW GEOMs/FM=1p25 FD=1p31/injection results/%inlet_velocity/0.1.sum") "Particle Summary Reports (*.sum)")

I need to somehow achieve the inlet velocity and then use it in my writing directory according to the above. 

It is noteworthy that my inlet boundary condition is velocity inlet and it is set as an input parameter and changes between 0.01 to 5 m/s.

For DPM analysis in each of the parameter study design points, Execute command seems like a good solution but it didn't work sadly. I created a macro that reads a journal file. This journal file tracks particles and writes summaries in an assigned directory. I set the command to be executed every 5 iterations (for a test) but it doesn't do anything and just prints a ">" every five iterations in the console. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with that?

Thank you so much for your time and help

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.