Fluids

Fluids

Setting up clean-in-place model using DPM Wall Film modelling

Tagged: , ,

• jamesscully
      Subscriber

I'm developing a clean-in-place model and am using the DPM Wall Film approach but I'm not sure how to best set it up. I've defined an unsteady injection of water and enabled the Wall Film option in the Wall boundary condition. I've been able to track some particles and they appear to be impacting the walls of the domain but the values of Film Thickness and Film Height are all zero.

Do I need to run the model as part of a Eulerian multiphase model to track the water film along the walls? Can I run the model with a single phase model with air and just track the water jet using the DPM model approach?

I'm sure that I'm missing something important in the setup but I've haven't been able to find a comprehensive tutorial or recommendations for setting up this type of model. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, James

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Hi James, don't you have a "grown-up" licence? ;)
      The wall film models are distinct from the multiphase ones, although you can link into the VOF model in the more recent versions. LWF is transient so check you're running that, EWF is OK with steady and transient particles.
    • jamesscully
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob, absolutely but I like to check out all the forums in case I miss anything :-) should I go through the other portal though??
      The model is transient so I think I'm on the right path but not getting the outputs I thought I'd get.
      I'm only putting in a few thousand particles as I'm just testing out the methods but I thought I'd get a non-zero results for the Coverage and Thickness. I do have a non-zero value for the Wall Film Velocity Magnitude.
      (Please let me know if I should go through the commercial forums/avenues though)
      Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I can do more there: here you're not export checked so we can only offer general pointers. Stick my name on the ticket.
      Sounds like the set up is about there, I assume you've run it long enough and with enough injected mass to actually have a finite thickness film? The injection default mass flow is 1e-20kg/s......
    • jamesscully
      Subscriber
      Thanks very much Rob! I probably haven't let it run long enough but I can set up another ticket to get into some more detail if needed.
      Best,
      James
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You're welcome. Feel free to answer threads while you're here too!
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.