General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Shared topology: Do the faces need to touch each other?

• Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber

Imagine I have two bodies which have a gap between the faces of the two. I want to create a shared topology between them. Can I do it? I tried creating it using SpaceClaim but unfortunately the faces were not detected by SpaceClaim where I wanted the shared topology. Can the design moduler help solve this problem?

Or I essentially need to remove the gap between those faces and make them line on the same plane and touch each other?

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Have a look at the images below. I changed the coincidence tolerance to a sufficiently large value.
      Regards Ishan.

• Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      thank you. How can I change the co-incidence tolerance in Spaceclaim?
      And will the Design Moduler automatically create a shared topology between the bodies that are in Part? Or I need to do something like you did to make the Design Moduler understand that I want the shared topology between these faces specifically?
      Plus, in the second picture that you shared, the last row elements are enlarged. What does that mean? Won't it make the element quality too bad for the analysis?
      [Sorry though, I should had asked this question in the pre-processing topic].
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      ,can you please provide an answer to this? :)
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      ,would be glad if you could reply to this one?
    • 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Apologies for the delay. Inside spaceclaim go to the workbench tab>share and you will see the coincidence tolerance there. Shared topology is done to achieve conformal meshes, between 2 or more disconnected geometric entities. Using shared topology in cases like this -
      " target="blank">
      gives a good conformal mesh. However, a in many cases (like the image above) it leads to poor element quality. In such cases you can either modify the geometry (like closing the gap in above image) and get a good quality conformal mesh or use connections/ contacts to achieve force transfer between non conformal meshes. Regarding DM, I havent used shared topology but I think it should be something similar to SC. Let me check and get back
      Regards IShan.
  • Rameez_ul_Haq
    Subscriber
    thanks for the information :)
  • Viewing 6 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.