General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Sharp Contact Point

• Autonewbie
      Subscriber

Hi I have a case where a sharp part contact with another part with penetration designed... Can we just model the contact at sharp angle or assume there is a tiny radius? It is plastic molding, 0.1mm is fine? Thanks!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Convergence will be easier to achieve if you put a small radius on the tips and equally small elements facing the tips. Start with a 2D Plane Strain model to have it run faster.  Use two planes of symmetry and model only 1/3 of the circle to make it run even faster. Those suggestions are only useful if the loading is symmetric.

• Autonewbie
      Subscriber

If I would like to find out how much is required to remove the inner part, is frictional stress at the contact tool the right stress to look for?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't understand the question. Describe what you want to know in more detail. Between the triangle and ring, which part is stiff and which part is soft/flexible?

• Autonewbie
      Subscriber

I missed out some words. I was trying to find out the required force to pull out the inner part from press fit but I found the right output now. 

However, customer told me that the inner part is come with sharp corner no corner radius...

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.