Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Shell Model, contact status open?

• Felder
      Subscriber

I am trying to model a welded frame using shell elements for the bent sheet metal parts. I used the mid-plane feature in Spaceclaim to create the surfaces and then set the contacts tolerance high because the parts do not geometrically match perfectly. The solver is now giving me errors related to the contact status'.

I went so far as to re-model the assembly using surfaces in Inventor, but was still unable to get the simulation to run. I have attached the .WBPZ

Any ideas?

Thank you!

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      Ansys staff can not download any files on the forum, so if you want to reach a larger audience to get answers from, please insert inline images describing your problem.
      Also, if your model consists of shell elements, and contact between shells, have you turned on the shell thickness effect https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v212/en/wb_sim/ds_Contact_Scope.html in contact details?
      -Aniket
      How to access Ansys help links
      Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Spend more time in SpaceClaim to close the gaps left after the Midsurface operation. Use the Pull Tool with the Up To button.
      Checking your geometry further, you have duplicate surfaces. Here is one snapshot:
      Now I hide the last 4.76 mm surface, and there is a second surface.
      You can't expect to to get a clean mesh and simulation if you have duplicate geometry in you file. Clean it up!
      After you clean up, use the Share button to tie an edge to a surface. I got rid of three duplicates, there are 88 other duplicate surfaces to get rid of.
    • Felder
      Subscriber
      Thank you all, I have been able to cleanup the surfaces. I also found that inserting mesh connections was something I wasn't doing that needed to be done.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      If you Pull the geometry and use the Share button, you won't need to insert Mesh Connections.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.